As a cat owner, it can be difficult to keep your cat fed properly. Cats are extremely picky eaters and they often have very specific dietary needs. This is especially true if your cat has allergies or other health issues that require special attention on your part. 

One common question that many people have about their feline friends is whether or not their cats can eat blue cheese. Many people assume that since this cheese is made from cow’s milk, it must be safe for cats to consume as well. 

So what exactly does it mean when blue cheese is considered “forbidden” to cats? And should you really avoid giving this tasty treat to your feline friend? Let’s go over the facts!

What is blue cheese?

Blue cheese is the form of cheese that has Penicillium culture added to it. In this form, the blue mold gives off a strong odor and flavor. The color of blue cheese comes from its mold growth, which can be white or grayish-blue in appearance. Blue cheese is also called bleu cheese or Roquefort cheese.

The mold that grows on blue cheese is Penicillium roqueforti. This mold gives the cheese its distinctive flavor and aroma, which some people describe as similar to smelly feet!

Blue cheese is one of the most popular cheeses in the world. It is made from cow’s milk, and some varieties are made with goat’s milk.

The most common form of blue cheese is made from cow’s milk. The process begins by adding the Penicillium mold culture to the milk and allowing it to incubate for about 24 hours. 

This allows the bacteria to grow. Next, rennet is added to coagulate the curd into a solid mass. The temperature of the curds will vary depending on which type of cheese is being made but generally fall between 100°F-115°F (38°C-46°C).

Can cats eat blue cheese?

No! Cats should never eat blue cheese. Blue cheese contains mold, which is not good for cats. It’s important to avoid serving your furry friend blue cheese because of the penicillium fungus it contains. The penicillium fungus can cause a disease called toxicosis in cats. In severe cases, it may even cause death!

The symptoms of penicillium poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, weakness, and renal failure in the cat.

It may take a day or two for these symptoms to start showing up and if a vet is not consulted, the cat may pass away due to the poisoning.

Blue cheese can be dangerous for cats. While the amount of blue cheese that it would take to kill a cat is unknown, it’s not worth taking the risk: if you suspect your kitty has snacked on some blue cheese, immediately contact your vet or animal hospital!

It may take a day or two for these symptoms to start showing up and if they’re not addressed quickly enough by a veterinarian who can perform life-saving measures (such as inducing vomiting), then they could become fatal within 24 hours after consuming the toxic food item.

What to do if your cat has consumed blue cheese?

If your cat has consumed blue cheese, you may be wondering what to do.

Blue cheese is a popular food item for humans and other animals alike. However, it can be dangerous if your cat consumes it.

The main problem with blue cheese is that it contains a specific mold called Penicillium roqueforti. This mold produces a substance called penitrem A, which is toxic to cats and other felines. Penitrem A affects the nervous system and can cause seizures, lethargy, and even death in some cases.

If you suspect that your cat has consumed blue cheese, the first thing you should do is take them to the vet immediately so it can be treated for toxicity. If treated promptly enough and properly monitored by their vet, most cats recover from ingesting this dangerous food.

If your cat has ingested blue cheese, then there are several things that you should avoid doing:

  • -Do not induce vomiting or feed any activated charcoal or hydrogen peroxide as these will only make matters worse by reacting with penitrem A and causing further damage to your pet’s body.
  • -Do not give them milk; it will only make matters worse.
  • -Take the cat to the vet and bring a sample of the cheese along with you. 
  • -Do not give your cat any other food or water during this time, unless instructed by your vet.

Will eating blue cheese kill a cat?

Yes, eating blue cheese can be fatal to cats. Blue cheese is a form of cheese that has Penicillium culture added to it.

The problem with cats eating blue cheese is due to the fact that it contains an anti-fungal agent called penicillin G, which could kill your cat if consumed in large enough quantities.

Final verdict: can cats eat blue cheese?

Blue cheese is toxic to cats and it can make them very sick. If you suspect your cat has eaten some and is showing signs of an upset stomach, contact your vet immediately. 

The vet will administer medication to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, blood tests may be required to check for more serious conditions such as pancreatitis or kidney failure.

Remember that if you suspect your cat has eaten something toxic, it’s best not to wait until symptoms appear before calling the vet.

We hope this blog article clarified any nutritional doubts you had regarding whether or not cats can consume blue cheese. If there is anything else we did not address in depth or if you have further questions about this issue, please feel free to contact us by clicking the button below.

Do you have a question concerning your pet?

Petnutritionplanet is available to assist. We are a team of pet nutrition professionals committed to ensuring your pet’s health and happiness. We can supply the knowledge you want, whether you are unsure of the optimum diet for your Dog, Cat, Ferret, Rabbit, or Guinea pig, or if you need assistance with a particular health concern.

Contact us immediately by leaving your questions in the “Ask a Question” section, and we will assist you in making the best decisions for your cherished pet.

For Now, Meow 😉