We all know that Nutella is a delicious chocolate hazelnut spread, but can cats eat it? The short answer is “no, cats should not eat Nutella.” While it may not seem like a big deal to give your cat a little bit of Nutella, there are a few reasons why you should avoid doing this. In this post, I will explain why Nutella is bad for cats and share some alternatives that your cat will love.
As you know, cats are curious creatures. Can they eat Nutella? Can cats have Nutella? Does chocolate affect cats the same way it effects humans?
As a pet owner, you will want to read this article before giving your furry friend any type of food that could be harmful to them. This is important because some foods can cause adverse reactions in their stomachs and intestines, which may lead to vomiting or diarrhea.
What Exactly Is Nutella?
Nutella is a popular spread that primarily consists of hazelnuts, skim milk, and cocoa. It was created in Italy during World War II as an inexpensive alternative to expensive European chocolates. Over time, the popularity of this delicious treat has grown immensely around the world.
It’s most commonly associated with breakfast – either as toast or on top of bread, but it can also be used as an ingredient in cooking recipes for cakes, pastries, tarts, and ice cream too!
Nutella is a spread that comes in the form of jars and small containers. The main ingredient in Nutella is sugar, which makes up about half of its weight in grams.
What Are The Ingredients In Nutella?
The ingredients in Nutella are:
- palm oil,
- skim milk,
- lecithin (an emulsifier),
It’s important to be aware of these ingredients before giving them to your cat, because some of them may cause adverse reactions. For example, chocolate is toxic to cats and can result in serious health problems.
Can Cats Eat Nutella?
Cats should not eat Nutella because it contains too much sugar and chocolate, which are both harmful to cats.Chocolate is also toxic to cats and can cause serious health problems, such as seizures and heart attacks.
Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine, which is toxic to cats. Theobromine poisoning in cats can cause vomiting, seizures, and even death. So while we might enjoy eating Nutella with a nice big spoon, our feline friends definitely don’t need to indulge in this sweet treat!
Cats might not seem like it, but they are obligate carnivores—their bodies are designed to digest and use only animal-based proteins. This means that they lack the ability to break down the complex carbohydrates found in plant-based proteins, like those found in hazelnuts.
When a cat eats something that contains complex carbohydrates, such as Nutella , the undigested carbs pass through their digestive system and can cause significant health problems, including diarrhea and even liver failure.
Can Nutella Kill A Cat?
While Nutella may not kill your cat outright, it’s important to be aware that it can still cause the cat to become sick because of the ingredients it contains.
It’s important to be aware that chocolate is toxic to them and can cause serious health problems.Although Nutella is not specifically lethal to cats, it can still cause them serious health problems. In particular, the high sugar and chocolate content in Nutella can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death in cases of excessive consumption.
It’s important for cat owners to be aware of these risks before giving their cats any type of food that contains chocolate or complex carbohydrates. If your cat has consumed excessive amounts of Nutella, you should take them to the veterinarian immediately.
List Of Side Effects Of Nutella On Cats:
- Vomiting : This is one of the most common side effects that you will see if your cat has consumed Nutella. It’s important to try and identify what caused your cat to vomit, so make sure you check their surroundings for remnants of food or other clues as to why this may have happened.
- Diarrhea : This can be a sign that there was something in the Nutella that wasn’t good for them – such as an ingredient they’re allergic to or excessive amounts of sugar that is making their digestive system unhappy!
- Can lead to dehydration : Dehydration can set in very quickly, so it’s important that your cat receives treatment as soon as possible! If not treated right away, severe dehydration can cause permanent kidney damage or even death.
- Obesity: Eating too much Nutella can make your cat obese.Just like humans, overweight or obese cats are at risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, and joint problems.
- Liver damage :This can be caused by theobromine poisoning (from chocolate). If your cat has consumed a large amount of Nutella and is exhibiting any signs of liver damage (e.g., vomiting blood), you should take them to the veterinarian immediately.
- Seizures : This can be caused by theobromine poisoning (from chocolate). If your cat has consumed a large amount of Nutella and is exhibiting any signs of seizures, you should take them to the veterinarian immediately.
- Diabetes: This can be caused by the high sugar content in Nutella. High sugar consumption can lead to weight gain and other health problems if not treated right away.
Apart from the abovementioned symptoms , you need to be on the lookout for the following symptoms of chocolate toxicity in your cats:
- Hyperactivity– Chocolate can make cats hyperactive and cause seizures if they are elderly or have heart problems.
- Increased Heart Rate Chocolate can increase the heart rate of cats. This can be even more fatal to an already weakened heart if the cat is elderly.
- Incoordination -Chocolate can cause incoordination in cats. This can be very harmful if a cat’s heart can’t pump blood to their extremities properly due to the caffeine and other chemicals present in chocolate.
- Irritability– Can cause violent behavior that results from an increase in neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine, which are all associated with mood changes.
- Diarrhea – Depending on how much chocolate your cat has eaten, it can also cause diarrhoea.
- Increased Urination– Can make cats urinate more often because it affects the nervous system.
- Seizures – Can result from increased heart rate, incoordination, and irritability caused by caffeine, which is present in chocolate products such as Nutella.
What To Do If My Cat Has Consumed Excessive Nutella?
The first thing to do is assess the severity of your cat’s symptoms. If they are just showing mild signs, then you might be able to wait a little longer before deciding on next steps.
But if they have noticeable trouble breathing or too much Nutella has been consumed and there’s no improvement after giving them some time, it would be best to take them to the vet right away.
If they’re already displaying severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing or diarrhea, then an emergency visit should happen immediately (within 15-20 minutes).
Don’t try any home remedies yourself without consulting your veterinarian! He’ll determine which treatment will work best for each individual case depending on how serious their side effects are. This can include anything from oxygen therapy to IV fluids to anti-seizure medication.
How Can I Keep My Cat From Eating Nutella?
The best way to keep cats from consuming harmful substances like Nutella is to prevent them from ever getting their paws on it.
Here are some things you can do:
- Do not leave Nutella unattended so that your cat not only does not smell or taste it, but also is out of its reach!
- Store all Nutella high above ground level, where cats cannot reach it, or try storing it higher off the ground, such as on top of a refrigerator.
- If possible, ask guests not to bring any Nutella into the home if there’s a possibility that your cat could get hold of them. Ensure that your guests are fully informed and educated about the dangers of feeding Nutella by accident to your cat.
- If you have to leave nutella unattended, make sure that it’s in a sealed container like an airtight can or jar, and place something on top of the lid as well (e.g., an unopened bag of cat food).
- Make sure all lids are tightly closed; this will prevent them from smelling Nutella and eating it out of curiosity.
- Strictly instruct all the children in the house about Nutella and its toxicity for cats. Give clear instructions to the children to never feed Nutella to the cats.
What Are The Alternatives To Nutella For Cats?
If you want to give your cat a treat , there are several healthier and safer alternatives you can try instead of giving them Nutella :
- Cooked white fish – Can be served on its own as a tasty snack or added into recipes for extra flavor such as tuna casserole .
- Cooked chicken – Can also be served on its own or with low GI rice.
- Cottage cheese – Small cubes will provide the calcium that cats need without adding unnecessary salt, fat, cholesterol, or sodium levels, which can lead to health problems over time.
- Low-fat yogurt – Can be mixed with cat food as a way to add moisture and also increase the probiotic levels in their diet, which helps promote gut health.
In conclusion, it is not safe for a cat to eat Nutella. Though the product may be delicious and tantalizing, there are too many risks associated with this food for felines. The ingredients can cause vomiting or diarrhea in cats, as well as anemia, which could lead to death.
These hazards outweigh any of the possible benefits of a treat like this one, so we recommend you do your best to keep your furry friend away from these tempting treats!
The ingredients in Nutella also make it a poor choice for your cat’s diet, even if they like the taste! As tempting as this dessert may seem when you’re at home with Fido and Fluffy on movie night , resist temptation by keeping Nutella out of reach (or better yet) off your grocery list altogether!
I hope this blog post has answered any nutrition related questions you had about whether cats can eat Nutella or not ! If there is anything else I didn’t cover in detail or if you still have more specific questions on this topic, feel free to reach out with your concerns by clicking the contact button below.
Do you have a question about your pet?
Petnutritionplanet is here to help. We are a team of experts in the field of pet nutrition and we are dedicated to helping you keep your pet healthy and happy. Whether you are wondering what food is best for your dog or cat, or you need help with a specific health issue, we can provide the information you need.
Contact us today by leaving your questions at “Ask A Question” segment and let us help you make the best choices for your beloved pet.
Meow for now 🙂