It might be challenging for a dog owner to keep their dog properly nourished. Dogs are highly finicky eaters with very precise nutritional requirements. This is particularly true if the dog suffers from allergies or other health conditions that need extra care.

One often asked question concerning canine pals is whether or not their dogs can eat blue cheese. Many people believe that since this cheese is manufactured from cow’s milk, it must be safe for dogs to eat. 

So, what does it mean when dogs are “forbidden” from eating blue cheese? And should you really avoid offering your dog this treat? Let’s review the facts! 

What exactly is blue cheese? 

Blue cheese is a kind of cheese that contains Penicillium culture. The blue mould has a distinct odour and taste in this form. Blue cheese gets its colour from mould development, which may be white or greyish-blue in appearance. Blue cheese is sometimes known as Roquefort cheese or blue cheese. 

Penicillium roqueforti is the mould that develops on blue cheese. This mould imparts the cheese’s characteristic taste and scent, which some compare to stinky feet! 

Blue cheese is one of the world’s most popular cheeses. It is prepared using cow’s milk, while other variants use goat’s milk. 

Cow’s milk is used to make the most popular kind of blue cheese. The method starts with the addition of the Penicillium mould culture to the milk and incubation for roughly 24 hours. 

The curd is then coagulated using rennet to form a solid mass. The temperature of the curds varies depending on the kind of cheese being manufactured, but it should be between 100°F and 115°F (38°C and 46°C). 

Can dogs eat blue cheese? 

No! Dogs should never be fed blue cheese because it contains mould that can make them ill. The penicillium fungus found in blue cheeses is poisonous to dogs

Toxicosis is a disease caused by the penicillium fungus in dogs. It may even kill them in extreme circumstances! 

Vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing and weakness are all early symptoms of penicillium poisoning. Dogs that eat blue cheese can also develop renal failure.

It may take a day or two for these symptoms to appear, and if a vet is not contacted, the dog may die as a result of the poisoning. 

Blue cheese may be harmful to dogs. While the quantity of blue cheese required to kill a dog is unclear, it’s not worth the risk: if you believe your dog has eaten any blue cheese, call your doctor or animal hospital right away! 

It may take a day or two for these symptoms to appear, and if not treated promptly by a veterinarian who can conduct life-saving treatments (such as inducing vomiting), they may be deadly within 24 hours of swallowing the poisonous food item. 

What should you do if your dog has eaten blue cheese? 

You may be wondering what to do if your dog has eaten blue cheese. 

The primary issue with blue cheese is the presence of a mould called Penicillium roqueforti. This mould generates a chemical known as penitrem A, which is harmful to dogs and cats. Penitrem A affects the nerve system and, in certain situations, may induce convulsions, lethargy, and even death. 

If you believe that your dog has eaten blue cheese, take them to the doctor right once so that they may be treated for poisoning. 

Most dogs recover from swallowing this harmful food if they are treated quickly and appropriately monitored by their veterinarian. 

If your dog has had blue cheese, you should avoid the following actions: 

  • -Do not induce vomiting or give activated charcoal or hydrogen peroxide as they will simply aggravate the situation by interacting with penitrem A and causing more harm to your pet’s health. 
  • -Do not feed them milk; it will just aggravate the situation. 
  • -Take the dog to the vet and bring a piece of cheese with you. 
  • -Unless otherwise directed by your veterinarian, do not feed your dog any extra food or drink during this period. 

Will a dog die from eating blue cheese? 

Yes, dogs may die from eating blue cheese. Blue cheese is a kind of cheese that contains Penicillium culture. 

The issue with dogs eating blue cheese is that it includes penicillin G, an anti-fungal antibiotic that may kill your dog if taken in big enough doses. 

Final verdict : can Dogs eat blue cheese ?

Blue cheese is harmful to dogs and may cause severe illness. If you believe your dog has eaten any and is experiencing gastrointestinal problems, call your veterinarian right once. 

To halt the vomiting and diarrhoea, the veterinarian will inject medication. Blood testing may be necessary in extreme instances to rule out more serious illnesses such as pancreatitis or renal failure. 

If you fear your dog has eaten anything harmful, don’t wait for symptoms to show before contacting the vet. 

We hope this blog post answered any nutritional questions you had about whether dogs can eat blue cheese. If there is anything else we did not cover in detail, or if you have further questions regarding this topic, please contact us by using the button below. 

Do you have a question about your pet? 

Petnutritionplanet is here to help. We are a team of pet nutrition experts dedicated to your pet’s health and enjoyment. We can provide the information you want, whether you are unclear about the best food for your Dog, Dog, Ferret, Rabbit, or Guinea pig, or if you require help with a specific health condition. 

Contact us right away by leaving your questions in the “Ask a Question” box, and we will help you make the best choices for your beloved pet. 

For the time being, Meow 😉